Tutoring at the Aurora Public Library
The Library premises are available for the use of members of the public to meet their needs in accessing information and for quiet enjoyment of library materials and equipment. As part of its educational mission, the Library permits tutoring on the premises in accordance with this policy.
The Library does not sponsor, recommend or assume liability or responsibility for the work and/or activities of tutors who use library space. All arrangements must be made between the tutor, student and parents.
Tutoring Guidelines and Procedures
- Tutoring sessions must be kept as quiet as possible so as not to disturb other library patrons or library staff. The Library Code of Conduct applies to all tutor teams.
- Tutors are responsible for the behavior of their students.
- Tutoring sessions will be limited to a maximum of two students per tutor at any given time.
- Library staff is happy to assist tutor teams, just as they assist any other patron.
- Tutors are responsible for establishing communication procedures for their students and the student’s parents. Library phones may not be used to make or cancel appointments. Library staff will not relay messages to tutors or students.
- Children under the age of eight must be under the direct supervision of the tutor until they are released to a parent or a designated responsible adult.
- No exchange of money may take place between student and tutor in the Library.
- The Library reserves the right to limit tutoring activities if space resources are monopolized or activities interfere with Library operations.
Tutoring at Main Library
- Tutors may use any of the tables in the public area during Library hours except those in the multipurpose room or in the Eleanor Plain Conference Room.
Tutoring at Eola Road Branch
- Tutors may use any of the tables in the public area excluding the preschool tables or quiet zones.
- Study room procedures apply to tutoring activities. A tutor may not receive extra time for a study room regardless of the number of patrons served.
Tutoring at West Branch
- The recommended areas for tutors are the tables at the east end of the Library by the music CDs and the small tables next to the children’s reference area. Tutors should avoid sitting in the teen area or the children’s area.
Approved by the Aurora Public Library Board of Directors on October 13, 2010
↑ Back to top of page
Print this page